Policing involves delivery of law enforcement services to the community. The traditional policing models have been largely reactive i.e. responding to calls for police service. The interaction of police with the citizens is thus mostly of an emergency nature when telephone calls are made to 100 number / police stations or otherwise crimes are reported. Police then swings into action. This is the traditional reactive model of law enforcement.
In the recent year there has been a drastic change of policing focusing the police being pro-active in delivering services to the community. Today the police and citizen are to work together to identify and address various issues jointly. As a step towards community policing, the A&N Police has organized regular citizens Committee and Fishermen Watch Group meetings at Police Station, SDPO & SP levels.
Besides these the following steps have been taken by the A & N Police
- A Cycling rally was organized by the A & N Police on 16th Aug 2013 in which children and administrative staff of this UT participated.
- A Body building competition for the local youths was organized on 15th Aug 2013 at Nicobar District.
- Meetings with elderly people of the area are being carried out by the Station House Officers in each police station.
- Door-to-door visits by beat staff.
- Verification of antecedents of servants and attendants.
- Organization cultural & musical programmes, sports events for general public.
- A&N Police Band plays regularly at Marina Park to entertain the general public.
- Citizen charter is also placed on police website for the public awareness about the functioning of A&N Police.
Community Out Reach Efforts
- Cycle run for health and fun.
- Carnic Festival.
- Licence Mela (Single Window issuance of Driving licenses)
- Sports activities organized.
- Rehabilitation of alcoholic and drug addicts.
- Educational assistance to tribal children in Car Nicobar.
- Heli Day celebrated.
- Mr. Car Nicobar Competition held.
Concerns For Elderly People
- Meeting with senior citizens at PS level.
- To understand the problems of old age people regarding safety and security.
- Sharing of contact/telephone number.
- Beat officers instructed to contact senior citizens residing in the beat during daily patrol.
- “Say no to drugs” campaign.
- Band display at Marina Park.
- Police Museum.
- Beach Cleaning.
- Musical programme by PET.
- Blood donation camps.
- Police participation in sports meet.
- Appointment of meritorious sports persons.
- ASI Deborah won Two Gold Medals at ACC Track Asia Cup Cycling Championship 2013.
Initiatives For Women Safety And Child Protection
- ‘Women and Child Help Desk’ in Police Stations.
- Juvenile Welfare Officer designated in Police Stations.
- Specialized training at PTS.
- Training of women police personnel with Delhi Police.
- Counselling services by specialized NGOs.
- Self Defence Training to over 150 girls.
- Sensitization of school children against sexual assault and harassment.