Criminal Investigation Department of Andaman & Nicobar Police is functioning under the overall supervision of IGP (Int) assisted by SP and DySP.
The following unit's functions under CID:-
- Special Branch
- Central Crime Station
- Crime Against Women Cell
- Anti Human Trafficking Unit
- State Crime Record Bureau
- Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL)
- Finger Print Section
- Photography Section
- Dog Squad
- The main function of the Special Branch is collection of intelligence in various fields like criminal intelligence, communal/religious intelligence and any other important activities.
- SB also conducts all types of verification including Passport, Arms license, Bar licence etc.
Central Crime Station
- Police Station located at Port Blair City and having jurisdiction all over the Andaman & Nicobar Islands. The cases under Foreigners Act, 1946 and Maritime Zone of India (MZI) Act, 1981 are registered in this Police Station.
- Besides, this Police Station is also entrusted with the investigation of important cases like IT Act, sensational heinous cases etc.
Crime Against Women Cell
A Women Police Station was established in Port Blair on 22nd Oct 1993. Main functions of Crime Against Women Cell are as follows:-
- To enquire into all complaints of harassment for dowry and domestic violence.
- To provide counseling and mediation services.
- Tracing and restoring of missing, runaway or stray children and women and to rehabilitate them.
- To sensitize the general public, students and female community regarding the special rights of women and children under the Indian Constitution, various international Treaties & Conventions and laws in force.
- To conduct surprise and regular checking in public transports, cyber cafes, places of entertainment, and other public places to prevent sexual harassment and to apprehend mischievous persons for legal action.
- Post crime counseling of female/child victims and their families and helping them in rehabilitation with the help of recognized institutions/NGOs.
Anti Human Trafficking Unit
The AHTU was established for :-
- Deal with offences of human trafficking with multi-disciplinary approach.
- To ensure inter departmental collaboration among the Police and all other Government Agencies and Departments, such as Women and Child, Labour, Health etc.
- Conducting rescue operation with the assistance of NGOs about trafficking activities.
- Ensuring a victim-centric approach which ensures the best interest of the victim/survivor and prevents secondary victimization/re-victimization of the victim as well as ensuring a gender sensitive and child rights sensitive approach in dealing with trafficked victims.
State Crime Record Bureau
To maintain crime records:-
- Objective of SCRB is to collect crime data from all Police Stations of A&N Islands and to maintain records of the same. Necessary entries regarding FIRs, Charge-sheets, FRs and conviction slips etc are made in the crime register of SCRB.
- Weekly, fortnightly, monthly, quarterly, half yearly, yearly and financial year reports, parliament questions, RTIs, verification of police personnel are being maintained.
- SCRB implements the Crime Criminal Information System (CCIS) which is a nationwide project, developed by National Crime Records Bureau, New Delhi. It contains detailed information on crime and criminals of A&N Islands.
- To computerize the crime & criminal records and also to introduce a degree of standardization in crime record management. Integrated Investigation Forms (IIF) are fed in CCIS software.
- Missing person Cell is functioning under SCRB to keep the updated data of missing persons. It uploads and updates the missing person’s data on the A&N police website.
Forensic Science Laboratory
The Forensic Science Laboratory started functioning in March 2003. The FSL is situated in the CID Office Complex, Port Blair. It works under supervision of one Senior Scientific Assistant and overall supervision of SP. At present, only Chemical Science Division is functioning at FSL and it carries out examination of:-
- Provision type cases – (i) Illicit liquor and (ii) IMFL
- NDPS Cases (Opium, Ganja, Charas and Hashish)
- Arson Cases (Petroleum products)
- Toxicological examination (Pesticides & Drugs poisoning)
One District Mobile Forensic Unit (DMFU) for South Andaman District has been established.
Finger Print Section
One Finger Print Section under the administrative control of A&N Police is functioning under SP.
Nature of work
- Maintains Finger Prints records of convicts/suspected/arrested persons.
- Maintains of Finger Print records of unknown dead bodies and suspected cases.
- Attend the scene of crimes to the chance print from the scene of crime.
- Till date 1,083 finger prints are maintained in Finger Print Section.
- A photography section is functioning under the supervision of Dy.SP with a meagre strength who are responsible for all type of photography and videography work of Police Department including Scene of crimes.
- A&N Police Dog Squad was established in the year 2002. At present Dog Squad is having a strength of 9 dogs (02 Explosives, 03 Trackers and 04 Narcotics). These sniffer dogs are deployed for duties at Airport, Helipad, Seaports, Anti-Sabotage Checking during VIP/VVIPs visits and venue of state functions and attending the scene of crime as and when required.
FORMATION OF SPECIAL JUVENILE POLICE UNIT UNDER THE JUVENILE JUSTICE (CARE & PROTECTION OF CHILDREN) ACT, 2000
- Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act – 2000 seeks to protect basic human rights and needs of Juvenile in conflict with law and children in need of care and protection.
- The Act imposes certain duties on Police and it envisages creation of certain institutions including Juvenile Justice Board. Special Juvenile Police Unit and Juvenile Officers.
Important features of the Act:
- Who is a Juvenile?
Under the Act, a ‘Juvenile’ means a person who has not completed eighteenth year of age.
- Special Juvenile Police Unit
Special Juvenile Police Unit means a unit of the Police of a state designated for handling of juveniles or children U/s 63 of the Juvenile Justice Act.
- The District Special Juvenile Police Unit has been created in three district of A&N Islands.
- Woman & Child Helpline Telephone No. 1098 (toll free)
- Child Welfare Officers
Juvenile Police unit has been created in all three district of this UT and a special Child Welfare Officer (CWO) has been designated in each police station in A & N Islands. The list of Child Welfare Officers district wise is as follows:
- The protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012 came into force on 14th November 2012.
- The Act under its ambit defines child as a person below the age-group of 18 and is gender neutral and have a clear definition for all types of sexual abuses.