What is RAP?
RAP is Restricted Area Permit which authorize a foreign national to visit certain areas of A&N Islands. Under A&N Foreigners (Restricted Area) order 1963 entire Union Territory have been declared as Restricted Area.
General Condition of RAP
- To visit and stay overnight in Municipal area of Port Blair, Havelock, Long Island entire Island of South Andaman & Middle Andaman excluding Tribal Reserved Area (5 KM away from Constance Bay to Luis Inlet Bay- Western Coast Tribal Reverse), Baratang, Rangat, Myabunder, Diglipur, North Passage Island, Little Andaman excluding Tribal Reserve and all Islands in Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park expect Boat, Hobday, Twins Island, Tarmugli, Malay and Pluto Island He/She can also visit Jolly Bouy, South Cinqiue Island, Red Skin, Mount Harriet, Madhuban, Ross Island, Narcondum, Interview, Brother, Sister and Barren Island during Day timer. (Visit of Barren Island is restricted on board the vessels with no landing ashore).
- As regards the two volcanic Islands, Barren Island and Narcondum Island foreign tourists may be allowed to visit Barren Island on board vessels but no landing ashore is allowed. UT Administration would to provide escort to the tourists visiting the Island. For Narcondum Island it has been decided that may be opened to foreign tourists for diving and unescorted day visits.
- No Burmese national will be allowed to visit Mayabunder and Diglipur without prior permission of the Ministry of Home Affairs.
General Conditions of Restricted Area Permit for the tourists arriving by Yachts
- To visit and stay over night in municipal area of Port Blair, Havelock, Long Island entire Island of South Andaman & Middle Andaman excluding Tribal Reserved Area ( 5 KM away from Constance Bay to Luis Inlet Bay- Western Coast Tribal Reverse), Baratang, Rangat, Myabunder, Diglipur, North Passage Island, Little Andaman excluding Tribal Reserve and all Islands in Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park expect Boat, Hobday, Twins Island, Tarmugli, Malay and Pluto Island He/She can also visit Jolly Bouy, South Clinque Island, Red Skin, Mount Harriet, Madhuban, Ross Island, Narcondum, Interview, Brother, Sister and Barren Island during Day timer. (Visit of Barren Island is restricted on board the vessels with no landing ashore).
- Foreign Nationals are prohibited to visit following areas:-
- Entire area of Nicobar group of Islands.
- Tribal reserve, areas of south and Middle Andaman extending from Constance Bay to Luis Inlet Bay between East longitude 920 34' 03” and North latitude 110 39' 52” to East longitude 920 47' 02” and North latitude 120 43' 02” upto coastal water a distance of 05 km in high tide line.
- Tribal reserve areas of Strait Island & Harminder Bay & Dugong creek Little Andaman.
- Boat, Hob day, Twin Island, Tarmugli, Malay & Pluto, Island of Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park.
- The permit is valid subject to the following conditions:
- Burmese Nationals are not allowed to visit Mayabunder and Diglipur without prior permission of the Ministry of Home Affair. Foreign tourists may ensure that Burmese Nationals are not present aboard their vessel during visit to these areas.
- Srilankan, Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Iranian, Afghanistan, Somalian, Nigerian, Ethopian and Algerian Nationals are not to be issued RAPs. Foreign vessel should ensure that persons of these Nationalities are not present on-board.
- Immigration clearance will be given at Port Blair only on arrival/departure.
- The vessel shall have to state its location twice a day (every 12 hours) to PMB Control Room by VHF communication.
- Clearance from the Customs and Port Control Management boar is necessary before arrival/departure.
- Entry to all Defence Establishment/areas is prohibited.
- How to apply and obtain Restricted Area Permit
- The Andaman & Nicobar Islands Entire Union Territory has been declared as `Restricted’ Areas under the Foreigners (Restricted) Areas Order, 1963.
- Immigration formalities are carried out by A&N Police for issue of Restricted Area Permit (RAP) on arrival of foreign National at Air Port/Seaport of this Island after filling the particulars and usual checks of valid travel document.
- It is mandatory that every foreign National must be in possession of a valid Passport and valid Indian Visa.
- The RAP is issued free of cost.
- A foreign National on a single visit can stay in the A&N Islands for a maximum period of 30 days at a stretch.
- The Foreigners Registration Officer (FRO), Andaman & Nicobar Islands can, however, be requested to extend the stay of the foreign National for a period of 15 additional days.
- Foreign National may submit an application addressed to the Foreigners Registration Officer, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Port Blair, main office located in the ground floor of the office of Supdt. of Police (South Andaman District) Citing the reason for extension and the period required. Application Forms for extension of RAP are available at Immigration & Foreigners Branch and all Police Stations free of cost. Phone No. 03192-239247, 237793 (Fax) and 234472 extensions 358 & 374.
- In any emergency, please contact the concerned Police Station of the area. The telephone numbers are :-
||Police Stations / PCRs
||Police Control Room (for Port Blair Area)
||Havelock Police Station
||Neil Island Out Post
||Baratang Police Station
||Kadamtala Police Station
||Long Island Out Post
||Rangat Police Station
||Betapur Out Post
Do’s & Don'ts
- Foreign nationals must obtain the required permit from Immigration authorities just after landing.
- RAP will be issued on arrived only on production of valid travel documents ie, passport and visa.
- Visit will be only in permitted areas in the islands.
- Follow Traffic rules while driving.
- Keep left, carry legal documents like driving license, permit, Passport etc.
- Foreign nationals should not enter the islands without required permit.
- Do not enter into Restricted/Tribal areas.
- Do not take video, film or photographs inside tribal reserve areas or of the indigenous tribes.
- Do not interact with tribal.
- Do not carry sea fans and sea shells unless specific permits are obtained from the fisheries department.
- Do not enter the national parks without permission.
- No foreigner are allowed to board any Vessel/ Boat/ Yacht and stay overnight without the permission of the FRO. Expect on Govt. Ferry Going North Andaman (Rangat & Mayabunder).
Protection Aboriginal Tribes (PAT) Regulations (Click here)