History of Police Marine Force
The Police Marine Force earlier known as Police Coast Guard came into existence in A&N Islands in the year 1957 as an adjutant to Andaman & Nicobar Police. In the year 1978, the Police Coast Guard has re-structured and named as Police Marine Force (PMF). Presently PMF Unit is utilizing Fast Interceptor Boats/Dinghies/Rubberized Inflatable Boats for maintaining surveillance and patrolling.
Need for Police Marine Force
- Safeguarding coastline against illegal activities.
- Detection of foreign intrusion.
- Foreign intruders settling down in our isolated uninhabited Islands.
- Foreign intruders using our scattered, uninhabited Islands for drug operations, weapon smuggling extremist activities etc.
Duties of Police Marine Force
- Undertake coastal area patrolling upto 5 NM (jurisdictional responsibility upto 12 NM), The responsibility from 0-200 NM, EEZ and High Seas lies with Indian Coast Guard and Indian Navy respectively.
- Checking and establishing the Identity of fishermen venturing in territorial waters.
- Apprehension of foreign intruders.
- Search and Rescue operations in and around creeks and shallow waters.
- Assist rescue and rehabilitation operation in case of natural calamities and disaster.
Duties/Responsibilities assigned to Marine Police Control Room
- Patrolling and surveillance at shallow areas close to coastline.
- Checking and countering illegal and criminal activities.
- To promote the feeling of safety & security among fishermen tourist and people living in coastal areas.
- To provide 24 x 7 Assistance & Service to the fishermen & General public through Coastal Help line No 1093(Hotline).
- Keeping a sharp watch over the ethnic settlers who aid the intruders.
- To coordinate with various agencies like Indian Navy & Coast Guard, Fisheries Department to collect coastal intelligence.
- To monitor the movements of various vessels in the Inland waters.
- Phone No. 03192-239247 and Hotline 1093.
Assets of Police Marine Force
- The Police Marine Force conducts coastal patrolling by Interceptor Boats/Dinghies/Rubberized Boats.
- Ten Fast Interceptor Boats deployed.
- Scuba diving unit established.